Angel Beats! Review – F
A bunch of dead kids are stuck in purgatory which is actually a high school.
I initially dropped it after one episode. Barely made it through three more last year. (That baseball game HURT ME.) And decided to try it again. Three’s a charm and all that.
Angel Beats! proves that Maeda is just a one-trick pony. Although this time he borrowed a lot of things from Haruhi and completely forgot what pacing was. Forced drama between characters that we’ve already seen with tear-jerking sob stories that we’ve already heard. The only character that was even remotely likable was TK. But not even TK or his Engrish could rescue this show from a failing grade.
- Story – F – Purgatory is a high school. Automatic fail.
- Characters – F – Cardboard cut-out archetypes with equally boring designs.
- Art – B+ – Not PA Works’ best job, but still looks nice.
- Music – C- – The opening’s chorus is awful.
- Enjoyment – F – I had to rewrite this about three times to make sure it wasn’t a massive hate-fest.
- Overall – F – I hope no one starts flaming me for this.
Recommendations: Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu, Clannad, Persona 4