February 2012 Rankings
Happy Leap Year! (I know, I’m so funny.) Anyway, rankings time.
1. (1) Natsume Yuujinchou Shi (episode 6-9) – This season has surprised me a second time by delivering a two episode anime original story. And featuring Natori no less. The Nanase backstory was also nice – HOUZUKI ARC. HOLY SHIT. MY LIFE IS COMPLETE.
2. (3) Nisemonogatari (episodes 5-7) – Episode six was terrific. It reinforced the fact that Senjougahara is still the star of the show. The pencil visuals, the transition to black and white, and all that Senjougahara fascination. It was fucking great. Glad that Karen Bee has finally come to an end, though. Tsukihi’s theme is more memorable than Karen’s, and Iguchi Yuka’s singing is okay. Fun visuals, too. But the toothbrush episode kind of scared me a bit.
3. (2) Senki Zesshou Symphogear – Due to the fact that Miku was heavily focused upon, the two most recent episodes have unfortunately been rather weak in comparison to earlier ones. But I still freaking love this show.
5. (6) Mouretsu Pirates (episodes 5-7) – We’ve got the piracy, but not so much bodaciousness yet. It’s really taking its sweet time getting there. We’re almost a third of the way through and I’m still not emotionally invested in the characters yet. I think this definitely one of those shows that’s better to marathon than to watch weekly.
7. (7) Another (episodes 5-8) – The deaths are hilarious. The show is not scary. Though it has improved and doesn’t seem to be trying as hard as it did in the first few episodes. I also have to give it credit for actually having some credit for fleshing out a couple of the characters in the beach episode. As for Kouichi’s dream sequence in episode 7: Shit like this worked in Akira. It worked in Indiana Jones. It did not work in Another.
9. (10) Rinne no Lagrange (episodes 5-8) – I don’t understand why most of the blogsphere seems to think that this is actually a good show.